Emerging studies demonstrate the benefits of home NIV
Recent evidence indicates that treatment with home non-invasive ventilation (NIV) has benefits for COPD patients with chronic stable hypercapnia.
The combined outcomes of the HOT-HMV trial and accompanying health economic analysis conducted in the UK show that HOT plus home NIV is both clinically efficacious and cost effective.11,12
Home NIV solutions
ResMed connected home NIV solutions can be used to effectively manage and monitor COPD patients at home
Lumis provides personalised home NIV for non-dependent patients and features built-in wireless connectivity to AirView™
Stellar is an invasive and non-invasive ventilator for non-dependent patients with changing ventilatory needs and progressive respiratory conditions. Wireless connectivity to AirView is available for Stellar through the ResMed Connectivity Module (RCM).
AirView allows you to see ventilated patients’ device and therapy statistics at a glance*. You can monitor your patients’ device settings remotely (unintentional leaks, respiratory rate, spontaneous trigger, minute ventilation, etc).
* With Stellar, therapy data is updated once a day. With Lumis, data is available one hour after the end of each therapy session.
- Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease, Pocket Guide to COPD Diagnosis,Management and Prevention, 2018 report. https://goldcopd.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/WMS-GOLD-2018-Feb-Final-to-print-v2.pdf (accessed August 31, 2018).
- World Health Organization. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-(copd) (accessed January 31, 2019) .
- National Clinical Guideline Centre (UK). Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: Management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in Adults in Primary and Secondary Care. Royal College of Physicians (UK), 2010. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0033903/pdf/PubMedHealth_PMH0033903.pdf (accessed August 31, 2018).
- European Lung White Book: the economic burden of lung disease. The European Lung Foundation (ELF) and the European Respiratory Society (ERS). https://www.erswhitebook.org/chapters/the-economic-burden-of-lung-disease (accessed August 31, 2018).
- Margarethe E. Wacker et al., Assessing health-related quality of life in COPD: comparing generic and disease-specific instruments with focus on comorbidities. BMC Pulmonary Medicine, 2016, DOI 10.1186/s12890-016-0238-9 https://bmcpulmmed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12890-016-0238-9 (accessed February 20, 2019).
- WHO, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) https://www.who.int/respiratory/copd/en (accessed August 31, 2018).
- WHO, Burden of COPD. http://www.who.int/respiratory/copd/burden/en (accessed August 31, 2018).
- COPD | National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/copd #Risk-Factors. (Accessed: May 4, 2018).
- Laviolette, Louis et al. “Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in Women.” Canadian Respiratory Journal: Journal of the Canadian Thoracic Society 14.2 (2007) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2676379 (accessed August 31, 2018).
- Dal Negro RW et al., Prevalence of different comorbidities in COPD patients by gender and GOLD stage. doi:10.1186/s40248-015-0023-2.
- Murphy P et al., Effect of Home Noninvasive Ventilation With Oxygen Therapy vs Oxygen Therapy Alone on Hospital Readmission or Death After an Acute COPD Exacerbation. A Randomized Clinical Trial, JAMA. Published online May 21, 2017. doi:10.1001/jama.2017.4451.
- Murphy PB et al. Cost-Effectiveness of Home Oxygen Therapy-Home Mechanical Ventilation (HOT-HMV) for the Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) with Chronic Hypercapnic Respiratory Failure Following an Acute Exacerbation of COPD in the United Kingdom (UK). American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2018;197:A2517.
- Dreher M et al., Registry of Stable Hypercapnic Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Treated With Non-Invasive Ventilation – HOmeVent Registry. ATS, San Diego, 2018. ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02811588.